Wednesday, September 30, 2026

God’s Algorithm: Which Direction Is Your Life Taking?

 Reading time: 5–6 minutes 

 “And he who turns away from the remembrance of the Most Merciful, We appoint for him a devil, and he becomes his companion.” The Qur’an, 43:36

 What is an algorithm?

 In the modern digital world, an algorithm can be understood, in a sense, as a reflection of our behaviour. When I watch Instagram Reels, YouTube videos, or TikTok content, the platform observes what I watch, what I engage with, and what holds my attention. Based on this behaviour, it begins presenting me with more of the same.

 If I repeatedly watch a particular kind of material, similar material starts appearing before me. My behaviour influences what the algorithm brings into my field of vision.

 That is the familiar algorithm of the digital world. But I would like to place before you another algorithm—the algorithm of God. The Divine Algorithm. The Qur’an says:

 “And he who turns away from the remembrance of the Most Merciful, We appoint for him a devil, and he becomes his companion.” The Qur’an, 43:36

 The verse presents a profound principle. A person’s direction begins with his relationship with the remembrance of Allah. When a person turns away from Allah, a consequence follows: a devil becomes his companion.

 But what does this companion do? The very next verse explains:

 “And they prevent them from the way of Allah, while they think that they are rightly guided.”  The Qur’an, 43:37

 There can hardly be a greater form of confusion than this: a person is moving in a particular direction while sincerely believing that he is moving in the right direction—when, in reality, he is moving away from guidance. He may think: “This is wonderful. I am doing the right thing.”

 Yet the Qur’an tells us that Satan can become his companion and prevent him from the way of Allah while he remains convinced that he is rightly guided.

 That is the real danger. The greatest danger is not necessarily knowing that one is on the wrong path. The greater danger is being on the wrong path and believing that it is the right one.

 The Tragedy of Realisation

 The Qur’an then takes us to the Day of Judgment. When such a person finally confronts the reality of his companion, he will say:

 “Would that the distance of both borders of the East was between you and me! So, what an evil companion would he be!” The Qur’an, 43:38

 What a tragic realisation. Throughout his life, the person believed that he was moving in the right direction. He trusted the influences surrounding him. He followed what appeared attractive, convincing, or even religiously meaningful. But ultimately, he discovers that the very companion who appeared to be guiding him had actually been preventing him from the path of Allah.

 There Is Another Side to the Algorithm

 But there is a converse to this. What happens if I turn towards Allah? What happens if I genuinely want to know the truth? What happens if I make the Qur’an the central object of my search?

 Then the direction of my life can change.

 If I genuinely seek Allah and truth, I begin to encounter different influences. I seek different people. I listen to different voices. I ask different questions. I become receptive to different kinds of knowledge.

 In today’s world, there are no prophets among us. Where does a person seeking truth turn? There are righteous and sincere people among whom one can sit, listen, learn and reflect. But there is one essential point: The foundation has to be the Qur’an. If you want to reach Allah, the Qur’an must remain central to that journey.

 Other sources may be studied, but they should not be allowed to replace the Qur’an as the ultimate criterion by which truth is examined.

 The Qur’an as the Criterion

 We have inherited a vast body of religious literature. We have the Torah, the Psalms, the Gospel, and—after the Qur’an—the books of Hadith. We can read and study all of them. Indeed, there is value in understanding the religious history and literature that surrounds the Qur’anic message.

 But the Qur’an must remain the criterion. It provides the standard by which claims are examined and understood. It helps us distinguish what accords with divine guidance from what does not.

 Therefore, become a student of the Qur’an. Do not merely read it occasionally. Engage with it. Reflect upon it. Ask what it is saying, why it is saying it, and how its message applies to the direction of your own life.

 What Happens When We Close the Qur’an?

 Consider the opposite situation. I close the Qur’an and begin searching everywhere else for Allah. I look here. I look there. I search through personalities, traditions, cultural practices, inherited ideas and countless other sources, hoping to discover the path to God.

 Even if I encounter something valuable, I have to ask: What is the criterion by which I determine that it is true? If I have abandoned the Qur’an as my criterion, I have already placed myself in a vulnerable position.

 The danger is that, while believing I am searching for Allah, I may actually be moving away from Him. That is precisely the warning contained in these verses: a person can be prevented from the way of Allah while believing that he is rightly guided.

 Which Algorithm Are You Feeding?

 Every day, our choices are shaping the direction of our lives. What do we watch?

What do we listen to? Whose voices do we repeatedly hear? What ideas do we allow to occupy our minds? What do we regard as truth? What do we seek when we are looking for guidance?

 The digital algorithms respond to our behaviour by giving us more of what we have chosen to consume. The Qur’an presents a far more consequential reality: our orientation towards or away from Allah has consequences for the influences that shape our journey.

 So let us consciously seek God’s positive algorithm. Let the Qur’an influence what we seek. Let it influence what we listen to. Let it influence what we believe. Let it become the criterion through which we examine the world around us. And, ultimately, let it help determine the direction in which our lives are going.

 The question, therefore, is not merely: “What am I watching?” It is: “Which direction is my life taking?”

_________________________________________________________________________________

Aamir Yazdani
MPhil (Islamic Thought & Civilization), Pakistan
MSc (Irrigation Engineering), UK

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

God’s Algorithm: Which Direction Is Your Life Taking?

  Reading time: 5–6 minutes    “And he who turns away from the remembrance of the Most Merciful, We appoint for him a devil, and he becomes...